Monday, September 15, 2008

Gibson LP Custom pickups! 496R and 500T! TBA!


Pickups used on Gibson Les Paul customs.

496R
This pickup is the acoustic equivalent of Hershey's Dark Chocolate! Less bell-like chime than an alnico magnet, but oh so smooth, rich, full, and somewhat dark sounding. I don't use neck pickups much with distortion, but almost always when going with a clean signal. When plugged straight into my Orange - it sounds like angry sex! With the 496R and BBQ working together in humbucker mode you get some fearsome thick tones. I don't honestly think that there's a better, more versatile pickup combo out there for blues and rock.

500T
Output level?Testosterone! Full of balls. Yet surprisingly clear and clean at lower volume settings.Very impressive range, rolling off the volume gives very clear articulation - far more than I expected - yet there is tremendous output once you start turning the volume knob up. Very responsive to pickup height adjustment. In my opinion, that's the key to getting the clarity.
But I have to admit being pleasantly surprised at how truly diverse they have proven to be. With the volume down, I get a very bright, exceptionally clean sound that lets me play lots of melodic material that I never dreamed I'd wind up using this pick-up combination for.

3 comments:

anna karina said...

I love that you compare a pickup to Hershey's Dark! :)

Darren Lau said...

Hi Anna,

Thanks for the comment. I am a big fan of chocolates anyway. :)

dy said...

hey bro. are these pickups for sale? may i know the price pls. thnx.